Red Skelton
Red Skelton insisted on getting his television skits done on the first take, even if it meant ad-libbing around blown lines and failed props. In one famous incident on live television, he managed to ad-lib while a cow defecated on stage ("Not only does she give milk, but also Pet-Ritz pies!").
As the 1970s began, Skelton's ratings remained high, but demographics led the network to believe that most of his audience were over the age of 45. In addition, inflation resulted in his salary becoming bigger than the network was willing to pay him. Though CBS had earlier decided to keep Gunsmoke , another long-time favorite that appealed almost exclusively to older audiences, between the 1970 and 1971 seasons the network eliminated traditional weekly variety shows hosted by veterans such as Skelton, Jackie Gleason , and Ed Sullivan , because programmers thought that they were getting long in the tooth and did not appeal to young viewers.  CBS continued with Carol Burnett 's highly popular show until 1978, and aired variety programs hosted by younger entertainers such as Sonny and Cher. Years later, Burnett told reporters that network variety shows had become too expensive to bring back. Performing in Las Vegas when he got the news of his CBS cancellation, Skelton said, "My heart has been broken."

Skelton moved to NBC in 1970 in a half-hour Monday night version of his former show. Its cancellation after one season ended his long television career. Skelton returned to live performances after he was no longer on television. In an apparent effort to prove the networks wrong, he gave many of these at colleges and did prove quite popular with the youth.  In 1984, Skelton gave a Royal Command Performance  for the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds  which was later shown in the US on HBO.

Skelton was said to be bitter about CBS's cancellation for many years afterwards. Believing the demographic and salary issues to be irrelevant, he bitterly accused CBS of caving in to the anti-establishment , anti-war  faction at the height of the Vietnam War , saying his conservative political and social views caused them to turn against him. Skelton invited prominent Republicans, including Vice President Spiro T. Agnew  and Senate Republican Leader Everett Dirksen  to appear on his program. When he was presented with the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences ' Governor's Award in 1986, Skelton received a standing ovation. "I want to thank you for sitting down," Skelton said when the ovation subsided. "I thought you were pulling a CBS and walking out on me."  Skelton had previously received Emmys for Best Comedy Program in 1952 and for Best Comedy Writing in 1961.  Skelton was inducted into the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences ' Television Hall of Fame in 1989.

Skelton began producing artwork in 1943, but kept his works private for many years. He said he was inspired to try his hand at painting  after visiting a large Chicago  department store  that had various paintings on display. Inquiring as to the price of one which Skelton described as "a bunch of blotches", he was told, "Ten thousand wouldn't buy that one." Skelton said he told the clerk he was one of the ten thousand who would not buy the painting, instead buying his own art materials. His wife, Georgia, a former art student, persuaded Skelton to have his first public showing  of his work in 1964 at the Las Vegas hotel where he was entertaining at the time. Skelton originals are priced at $80,000 and upward; Skelton once estimated the sale of his lithographs  earned him $2.5 million per year.

In Death Valley Junction, California , Skelton found a kindred spirit when he saw the artwork and pantomime performances of Marta Becket . Today, circus performers painted by Marta Becket decorate the Red Skelton Room in the Amargosa Hotel , where Skelton stayed four times in Room 22. The room is dedicated to Skelton, as explained by John Mulvihill in his essay, "Lost Highway Hotel":

"Marta Becket is the magic behind the Amargosa Hotel. For the past 32 years, it has provided both a home and a venue for her lifetime ambition: to perform her dance and pantomime works to paying audiences. Since 1968, she's been doing just that, twice a week, audiences or no. The hotel guest’s first encounter with Marta is through her paintings in the lobby and dining area. Once she and her husband had upgraded the structure of the hotel and theatre,`she made them unique by painting their walls with shimmering frescoes (not real frescoes but the effect is the same) in a style uniquely hers. Some of the paintings are deceptively three-dimensional, like the guitar leaning against a wall that you don’t realize is a painting until you reach to pick it up. Some are evocative of carnival art from the early part of this century. All are vibrant, whimsical. If you’re lucky, your room will be graced with similar wall paintings. Room 22 is where Red Skelton used to stay. He visited once to catch Marta’s show and, like so many others, fell victim to the Amargosa’s enchantment and returned again and again. He asked Marta to illustrate his room with circus performers and though he died shortly thereafter, she did so anyway. Staying in this room, with acrobats scaling the walls and trapeze artists flying from the ceiling, is a singularly evocative experience, one I wouldn’t trade for a suite at the Waldorf-Astori."

Skelton was a prolific writer of both short stories and music. After sleeping only four or five hours a night, he would get up at 5 AM and begin writing stories, composing music, and painting pictures. He wrote at least one short story a week and had composed over 8,000 songs and symphonies at his death. Skelton was also interested in photography ; when attending Hollywood parties, he would take photos and give the films to newspaper reporters waiting outside. Skelton kept a photographic record of each of his oil paintings . He was also an avid gardener  who created his own Japanese garden and bonsai  trees at his Palm Springs home.

On June 1, 1931, Skelton married Edna Marie Stillwell (1915–1982), a joke writer, business manager, and former usher at Kansas City's old Pantages Theater. Skelton was one month away from his 18th birthday, and Edna was 16. The two met when she approached Skelton after a show and told him she didn't like his material; Skelton asked her if she could do better. They married a short time later, with Edna taking on the tasks of managing her husband and writing for him, as well as becoming part of his act. At first, Skelton considered his wife to be interfering after she saw the boss when his salary was about to be cut. When she came away with not only a raise for her husband but additional considerations as well, Skelton no longer minded Edna's intervention. Since Skelton had left school at an early age, his wife bought textbooks  and taught Skelton what he had missed. With Edna's help, Skelton received a high school equivalency degree. She was also part of the cast for Skelton's Avalon Time radio program under her maiden name of Edna Stillwell. Edna developed a system for working with the show's writers; she would select material from them, add her own and file the unused bits and lines for future use. In 1942, Edna announced that she was leaving the Skelton home but would continue to manage Skelton's career and write material for him. Skelton did not realize she was serious until Edna issued a statement about the impending divorce  through NBC, Skelton's radio employer. They divorced in 1943, leaving the courtroom arm in arm. After their marriage ended, Stillwell remained an advisor on his career until 1952, receiving a generous weekly salary for life for her efforts.

By 1944, Skelton was engaged to actress  Muriel Morris, who was also known as Muriel Chase; the couple had obtained a marriage license  and told the press they intended to marry within a few days. At the last minute, the actress decided not to marry Skelton, initially saying she intended to marry a wealthy businessman in Mexico City. She later recanted the story about marrying the businessman, but continued to say that her relationship with Skelton was over. The actress further denied that the reason for the breakup was Skelton's former wife's continuing to manage her ex-husband's career. Edna Skelton stated that she had no intention of either getting in the middle of the relationship or reconciling with her ex-husband.

Skelton, who was drafted in early 1944 and joined the Army on May 25 of that year, was on furlough  for throat discomfort when he married Georgia Maurine Davis in Beverly Hills, California  on March 9, 1945. He entered the hospital later that day to have his tonsils removed. As part of the entertainment corps, Skelton performed before troops in both the United States and in Europe, as many as ten to twelve shows per day. The pressure of his workload caused him to suffer exhaustion  and a nervous breakdown ; he was released  from his Army duties in September 1945. Georgia and Red had two children, Richard Jr., and Valentina Marie Skelton (b.1947).

In January 1957, Skelton's son, Richard, was diagnosed with leukemia ; initially he was given a year at most to live.  After Richard's diagnosis, Skelton took his family on an extended trip, so the boy could see as much of the world as possible. When they arrived in London, there were press accusations that Skelton's trip was more about publicity than his seriously ill son. There were also newspaper reports about young Richard's illness being fatal which were seen by the young boy. The devastated father cut the family's trip short and returned to the United States after the British press stories.

Skelton suffered a life-threatening asthma  attack on December 30, 1957. He was taken to St. John's Hospital  in Santa Monica , where his doctors said that "if there were ten steps to death, Red Skelton had taken nine of them by the time he had arrived". Initially hospitalized for an indeterminate length of time, Skelton later said he was working on some notes for television and the next thing he remembered, he was in a hospital bed. He did not know how serious his illness was until he read about himself in the newspapers. Skelton's illness and recovery kept him off the air for a full month.

Richard Skelton Jr.'s death on May 10, 1958, just 10 days before his 10th birthday, was a major blow to the entire family. The day the young boy was buried, Skelton was scheduled to do his weekly television show. Though there were some recordings of some older Skelton shows available which the network could have run, Skelton asked that guest performers be used instead. Richard Jr.'s death profoundly affected Red and Georgia. By the early 1960s, the Skelton family had moved to Palm Springs while Red used the Bel Air mansion only on the two days when he was in Los Angeles for his television show taping. In 1966, Georgia Skelton wounded herself in an accidental shooting at the Sands Hotel  in Las Vegas  while her husband was performing in the main showroom. The couple's daughter, Valentina, heard the gunshot and found her mother who was both surprised and confused about what had happened. The Skeltons kept handguns in both of their California homes because of prowlers. Georgia did not feel safe without a gun  and the couple brought it to Las Vegas with them. The gun was kept loaded on a bedside table and Mrs. Skelton may have accidentally brushed against it there while reaching for something else. The Clark County Sheriff declared the shooting to be accidental.

In 1971, Red and Georgia divorced. Skelton, now 60, married a secretary 25 years his junior, Lothian Toland, daughter of famed film cinematographer  Gregg Toland . They were married on October 7, 1973, in San Francisco, California , and remained married until Red Skelton's death in 1997. On May 10, 1976, Skelton's ex-wife Georgia committed suicide  by gunshot on the 18th anniversary of her son's death. She was 54 and had been in poor health for some time.  Skelton was deeply affected by the loss of his ex-wife.

Red Skelton died from pneumonia  near his Anza, California  home, at Eisenhower Medical Center, in Rancho Mirage, California on September 17, 1997, aged 84. He was interred in the Skelton Family tomb in The Great Mausoleum's Sanctuary of Benediction, private room, at Forest Lawn Memorial Park , in Glendale, California. He rests with his beloved son Richard Jr., who died in 1958. Skelton was survived by his widow, Lothian Toland-Skelton, his daughter, Valentina Marie Skelton-Alonso, and granddaughter Sabrina Maureen Alonso.

Red Skelton was a Freemason , a member of Vincennes Lodge No. 1, in Indiana. He also was a member of both the Scottish  and York Rite . He was the recipient of the Gold Medal of the General Grand Chapter, Royal Arch Masons, for Distinguished Service in the Arts and Sciences. On September 24, 1969, he received the honorary 33° in the Scottish Rite and was a Gourgas Medal recipient in 1995. Skelton was also a Shriner  in Los Angeles, California. Skelton became interested in Masonry as a small boy selling newspapers in Vincennes, when a man bought a paper from him with a five dollar bill and told him to keep the change. The young Skelton asked his benefactor why he had given him so much money; the man explained that he was a Mason and Masons are taught to give. Skelton decided to become one also when he was grown.

Skelton was made an honorary brother of Phi Sigma Kappa  at Truman State University. In 1961 Skelton was made an honorary brother of the Phi Alpha Tau  Fraternity of Emerson College  when he was awarded the Joseph E. Connor Award for excellence in the field of communications. He also received an honorary degree from the college. Skelton received an honorary high school diploma from Vincennes High School.  He was also an honorary member of Kappa Kappa Psi  National Honorary Band Fraternity. In 1986, Skelton received an honorary degree from Ball State University .

The Red Skelton Memorial Bridge  spans the Wabash River  and provides the highway link between Illinois  and Indiana  on U.S. Route 50  near Skelton's hometown of Vincennes, Indiana. At the end of bridge's dedication in 1963, Red exclaimed, "Okay everybody, now off my bridge!"

Skelton received a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Screen Actors Guild  in 1987; he was also one of the International Clown Hall of Fame 's first inductees in 1989.

The Red Skelton Performing Arts Center was dedicated on Friday, February 24, 2006 on the campus of Vincennes University  at a cost of $16.8 million. The building includes an 850-seat theater, classrooms, rehearsal rooms, and dressing rooms. Its grand foyer is a gallery for Red Skelton's paintings, statues, and film posters. The theater hosts Vincennes University theatrical and musical productions, special events, convocations and conventions. Work was underway as of 2009 on the Red Skelton Gallery and Education Center that will house Skelton memorabilia donated by the comedian's family. In September 2010, the museum and the Indiana Historical Society  entered into a partnership for a permanent archive of Skelton's material. The museum received a one million dollar donation in November 2010. The Red Skelton Foundation also assists needy children in Vincennes with new clothing.

The Red Skelton Festival, June 14, 2008, in Vincennes, featured the "Parade of a Thousand Clowns," an Evening of Music, with Crystal Gayle , and clown seminars. Restoration is also underway for the historic Vincennes Pantheon Theatre , where Skelton performed during his youth.
Richard Bernard Skelton
18 July 1913, Vincennes, Indiana
17 September 1997, Rancho Mirage, California
Richard Bernard "Red" Skelton (July 18, 1913 – September 17, 1997) was an American entertainer best known for being a national radio  and television  comedian between 1937 and 1971. Skelton, who has stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame , began his show business career in his teens as a circus clown  and continued on vaudeville  and Broadway  and in films , radio, TV, night clubs , and casinos , all while he pursued an entirely separate career as an artist.

Born in Vincennes, Indiana , Richard Skelton was the fourth son of Ida Mae (née Fields) and Joseph E. Skelton (1878–1913). Joseph, a grocer, died two months before his last child was born; he had once been a clown  with the Hagenbeck-Wallace Circus. In Skelton's lifetime there was some dispute about the year of his birth. Author Wesley Hyatt suggests that since Skelton began working at such an early age, he may have had to say he was older than he actually was in order to work.

Because of the loss of his father, young Richard went to work at the age of seven, selling newspapers to help his family. He quickly learned the newsboy's  patter and would keep it up until a prospective buyer bought a copy of the paper just to quiet young Skelton. In 1923, a man came up to the young newsboy, purchased every paper he had and asked him if he wanted to see the show in town, giving him a ticket. The man, comedian Ed Wynn , was part of the show and later took young Skelton backstage. It was then that he realized what he wanted to do with his life. (Skelton also told another version of this story, with Raymond Hitchcock  as the actor.) Skelton learned when young that he could make people laugh. When Skelton was ten, he auditioned to be part of a medicine show . When he accidentally fell from the stage, breaking bottles of medicine as he fell, people laughed. The young boy realized he could earn a living with his ability. By age 14, he had left school and was already a veteran performer, working in local vaudeville  and on a showboat , "The Cotton Blossom", that traveled the Ohio  and Missouri  rivers.

Young Skelton was interested in all forms of acting. He won a dramatic role with a stock theater  company, but was unable to deliver his lines in a serious manner; the audience laughed instead. Ida Skelton, who held two jobs to support her family after the death of her husband, never said that her youngest son had run away from home, but that "his destiny had caught up with him at an early age". At age 15, he was on the vaudeville circuit and the next year spent some time with the same circus his father had also been a clown with. Skelton later copied his father's makeup for his television character, "Freddie the Freeloader". While performing in Kansas City  in 1931, Skelton married his first wife, Edna Stillwell, who was an usher  at the theater.

Skelton and his wife put together an act and began to get bookings for it at some of the smaller vaudeville theaters. They somehow made their way to the Lido Club in Montreal . Despite the language barrier, the act was a success, and brought the couple theater dates throughout Canada. While in Montreal, Skelton and Edna devised the well-known "Doughnut Dunkers" routine, with Skelton's visual impressions of how different people ate doughnuts . The problem with doing this type of act was that Skelton had to eat nine doughnuts at every performance. He was performing five times a day and eating 45 doughnuts. Skelton gained almost 35 pounds rapidly and had to shelve the routine for a while until he lost the weight.

Skelton's first contact with Hollywood came in the form of a failed 1932 screen test. In 1937 he made his film  debut for RKO Radio Pictures  in the supporting role of a camp counselor in Having Wonderful Time . Two short subjects made for Vitaphone  were released in 1939: Seeing Red and The Bashful Buckaroo. After screen star Mickey Rooney  had seen Skelton perform his "Doughnut Dunkers" act, Rooney contacted Skelton, urging him to try for work in films. Rooney also spoke favorably about Skelton to his film employer, MGM.

Skelton was hired by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer  to lend comic relief  to its Dr. Kildare  medical dramas, but soon he was starring in comedy features (as inept radio detective "The Fox") and in Technicolor  musicals. When Skelton renegotiated his 1940 long-term contract with MGM, he wanted a clause that permitted him to remain working in radio and to be able to work on television (which was in its infancy).  Skelton's previous contract called for MGM's approval prior to his radio shows and other appearances.  Skelton did not receive the desired television clause and was not able to begin working in the medium until his MGM contract completed in 1951.

Skelton asked MGM once more for rights to pursue television when his contract was over. This time the studio was willing to grant them, making Skelton the only major MGM personality with the privilege. During the last portion of Skelton's contract with the studio, he was working in radio and on television in addition to films. In a 1956 interview, Skelton said he decided he would never work simultaneously in all three again.

The "Doughnut Dunkers" routine also led to Skelton's first appearance on The Rudy Vallée  Show on August 12, 1937. The program had a talent show segment and those who were searching for stardom were eager to be heard on it. The show received enough fan mail after Skelton's performance to invite the comedian back two weeks after his initial appearance and again in November of that year. On October 1, 1938, Skelton replaced Red Foley  as the host of Avalon Time on NBC; Edna also joined the show's cast. Skelton continued as the show's host until late 1939, when he went on to begin his MGM movie career.

Skelton's success in films meant a regular radio show offer. He went on the air with his own program, The Raleigh Cigarettes Program, on October 7, 1941. The bandleader for the show was Ozzie Nelson ; his wife, Harriet , who worked under her maiden name of Hilliard, was the show's vocalist and also worked with Skelton in skits.

Skelton introduced the first two of his many characters during the show's first season. Clem Kadiddlehopper was based on a Vincennes neighbor named Carl Hopper, who was hard of hearing. Skelton's voice pattern for Clem was very much like that of the later cartoon character, Bullwinkle . They were sufficiently similar to cause Skelton to contemplate filing a lawsuit against Bill Scott, who voiced the cartoon moose.  The Mean Widdle Kid, or "Junior", was a young boy full of mischief, who typically did things he was told not to do. "Junior" would say things like, "If I dood it, I gets a whipping.", followed moments later by the statement, "I dood it!" Skelton performed the character at home with Edna giving him the nickname "Junior" long before it was heard by a radio audience. While the phrase was Skelton's, the idea to try using the character on the radio show was Edna's. Skelton starred in a 1942 movie of the same name, but did not play "Junior" in the film. When MGM decided to use the phrase for the movie, they did so without the permission of either Skelton or his Raleigh cigarettes sponsor; Skelton asked for $25,000 from the studio in damages.

The phrase was such a part of national culture at the time, when General Doolittle  conducted the bombing of Tokyo  in 1942, many newspapers used the phrase, "Doolittle Dood It" as a headline. In 1943, after a talk with President Franklin D. Roosevelt , Skelton used his radio show to collect funds for a Douglas A-20 Havoc  to be given to the Soviet Army  to help fight World War II . Asking children to send in their spare change, Skelton raised enough money for the plane in two weeks. He named the bomber "We Dood It!" In 1993, the pilot of the plane was able to meet Skelton and thank him for the bomber.

Skelton also added a routine he had been performing since 1928. Originally called "Mellow Cigars" by Skelton, the skit entailed an announcer who became ill as he smoked his sponsor's product. Brown and Williamson, the makers of cigarettes, asked Skelton to change some aspects of the skit; Skelton renamed the routine "Guzzler's Gin", where the announcer became inebriated while sampling and touting the imaginary sponsor's wares.

The Skelton divorce in 1943 meant that Red had lost his married man's deferment ; he was once again classified as 1-A for service. He was drafted into the Army  in early 1944. Both MGM and his radio sponsor  tried to obtain a deferment for the comedian, but to no avail. Skelton's last Raleigh radio show was on June 6, 1944, the day before he was formally inducted. Without its star, the program was discontinued, and the opportunity presented itself for the Nelsons to begin a radio show of their own, The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet. Skelton suffered a nervous breakdown while in the Army and was discharged on September 18, 1945. His sponsor was eager to have him back on the air, and Skelton's program began anew on NBC on December 4, 1945.

Skelton brought with him many new characters that were added to his repertoire: Bolivar Shagnasty, described as a "loudmouthed braggard", Cauliflower McPugg, a boxer  who had hit the canvas too often, Deadeye, a cowboy  who could not get anything right, Willie Lump-Lump, a fellow who had a few too many drinks, and San Fernando Red, who never met a scam he did not like and also had political aspirations. By 1947, Skelton's musical conductor was David Rose , who would go on to television with him. Skelton had worked with Rose during his time in the Army and wanted Rose to join him on the radio show when it went back on the air in December 1945.

On April 22, 1947, Red was censored  by NBC two minutes into his radio show. Red and his announcer Rod O'Connor began to talk about Fred Allen  being censored during Allen's NBC show the previous week; they were silenced for 15 seconds. Comedian Bob Hope  was also given the same treatment once he began referring to the censoring of Allen. Skelton forged on with his lines for his studio audience's benefit. The material Skelton insisted on using had been edited from the script by the network before the broadcast. Skelton's words after he was back on the air were, "Well, we have now joined the parade of stars." Skelton had been briefly censored the previous month for the use of the word "diaper". After the April incidents, NBC indicated it would no longer pull the plug for similar reasons.

Skelton changed sponsors in 1948; Brown and Williamson , owners of Raleigh cigarettes, withdrew due to program production costs. Skelton's new sponsor was Procter & Gamble 's Tide  laundry detergent. He changed networks the next year, going from NBC to CBS. The Paley plan  that offered stars significant tax savings if they incorporated, then sold their shows to CBS, covered radio shows only. Skelton's radio show was on CBS until May 1953. After Skelton's network  radio contract was over, he signed with Ziv Radio  for three years for a syndicated  radio program in 1954.  He was inducted into the Radio Hall of Fame  in 1994.

Skelton was unable to work in television until the end of his 1951 MGM movie contract; a renegotiation to extend the pact provided permission after that point. He was signed to a contract for television on NBC with Procter and Gamble as his sponsor on May 4, 1951. Skelton indicated he would be performing the same characters on television as he had been doing on radio. The MGM agreement with Skelton for television performances did not allow him to go on the air before September 30, 1951. When he began his NBC television show on the first day he was able to legally do so, at the end of his opening monologue , two men backstage grabbed his ankles from behind the set curtain, hauling him offstage face first. The comedic hard knocks took their toll; before Skelton had reached the age of 40, he needed leg braces  and a cane  for the cartilage that was destroyed in both of his knees . A ritual was established at the end of every program, with Skelton's words of, "Good night and may God bless." A 1943 hit instrumental  for Rose, called "Holiday for Strings", was used as Skelton's TV theme song.  His now-famous "Freddie the Freeloader" clown was introduced on the program in 1952.

During the 1951–52 season, Skelton broadcast live from a converted NBC radio studio. The first year of Skelton's television show was done live ; problems set in because there was not enough time for costume  changes and also because of Skelton's being on camera for most of the half-hour. Skelton was delivering an intense performance live each week, and the strain showed in physical illness. NBC agreed to film his shows in the 1952–53 season at Eagle Lion Studios , next to the Sam Goldwyn Studio, on Santa Monica Boulevard in Hollywood. Later the show was moved to the new NBC television studios in Burbank . Procter & Gamble remained unhappy with the filming of the television show, and insisted that Skelton return to live broadcasts. The situation caused him to think about leaving television at that point.

Declining ratings prompted sponsor Procter & Gamble to cancel his show in the spring of 1953, with Skelton announcing that any future television shows of his would be variety  ones, where he would not have the almost constant burden of performing. Beginning with the 1953–54 season, Skelton switched to CBS, where he remained until 1970. When Skelton initially moved to CBS, he had no sponsor. The network gambled by taking the Skelton show on a sustaining basis; CBS was covering all expenses. Skelton's first CBS sponsor was Geritol. He curtailed his drinking and his ratings at CBS began to improve, especially after he began appearing on Tuesday nights for co-sponsors Johnson's Wax  and Pet Milk Company. By 1959, Skelton was the only comedian with a regularly scheduled weekly television show.

Skelton's comedic sketches became legendary. Sometimes during sketches, Skelton would break up or cause his guest stars to laugh, not only on the live telecasts but on taped programs as well. Actress Theona Bryant, a regular to the show remarked, "When you can recite Juliet's Romeo dialogue in southern belle drawl into the laughing face of Red Skelton, you're ready to be a star."

By 1955, Skelton was broadcasting his weekly programs in color. Between 1955 and 1960 the program was broadcast in color approximately 100 times. He tried to encourage CBS to do other shows in color at the facility, although most emanated in black-and-white from Television City  near the Farmers Market in Los Angeles. However, CBS mostly avoided color broadcasting after the network's television set manufacturing division, CBS-Columbia sold few color sets and the public's general lack of interest did not warrant the additional cost. Although CBS occasionally would use NBC facilities or its own small color studio for specials, the network avoided color programming—except for sporadic telecasts of specials The Wizard of Oz  and Rodgers and Hammerstein 's Cinderella —until the fall of 1965, when the three broadcast networks (ABC, NBC and CBS) began televising most of their primetime programs in color.

In early 1960, Skelton purchased the old Charlie Chaplin Studios  and updated it for videotape recording. Along with a purchase of a three-truck mobile color television unit, Skelton recorded (and CBS continued to broadcast) a number of his series episodes and specials in color. Even with Skelton's color facilities CBS discontinued color broadcasts on a regular basis and Skelton shortly sold the studio to CBS and the mobile unit to local station, KTLA. Prior to this, he had been filming at Desilu Productions. By that time, Skelton had abandoned his own studio and moved back to the network's Television City facilities, where he resumed programs until he left the network. In the fall of 1962, CBS expanded his program to a full hour, retitling it The Red Skelton Hour.

At the height of Skelton's popularity, his son was diagnosed with leukemia. In 1957, this was a virtual death sentence for any child. Skelton returned to his television show on January 15, 1957, with guest star Mickey Rooney helping to lift his spirits. The illness and subsequent death of Richard Skelton at the age of nine left his father devastated and unable to perform for much of the 1957–58 television season. Skelton himself was beset by a serious illness and by a household accident which kept him off the air. CBS management was exceptionally understanding of Red's situation, and no talk of cancellation was ever entertained by Paley.

Skelton's season premiere for the 1960–61 television season was a tribute to the United Nations . Six hundred people from the organization, including diplomats, were invited to be part of the audience for the show. Skelton's program was entirely done in pantomime. UN representatives from 39 nations were in the studio audience. In 1965, Skelton did another show in complete pantomime. This time he was joined by Marcel Marceau ; the two artists alternated performances for the hour-long program, sharing the stage to perform Pinocchio. The only person who spoke during the hour was Maurice Chevalier , who served as the show's narrator.  Skelton frequently employed the art of pantomime for his characters, using few props. A particularly poignant one is that of the old man watching the parade. The sketch had its origins in a question Skelton's terminally ill son, Richard, asked his father about what happens when people die. Skelton told his son, "They join a parade and start marching."

In 1969, Skelton performed a self-written monologue about the Pledge of Allegiance. In the speech, he commented on the meaning of each phrase of the Pledge. At the end, he added: "Wouldn't it be a pity if someone said that is a prayer and that would be eliminated from schools, too?" CBS received 200,000 requests for copies; the company subsequently released the monologue as a single recording by Columbia Records .

In Groucho and Me, Groucho Marx  called Skelton "the most unacclaimed clown in show business", and "the logical successor to (Charlie) Chaplin", largely because of his ability to play a multitude of characters with minimal use of dialogue and props. "With one prop, a soft battered hat," Groucho wrote, describing a performance he had witnessed, "he successfully converted himself into an idiot boy, a peevish old lady, a teetering-tottering drunk, an overstuffed clubwoman, a tramp, and any other character that seemed to suit his fancy. No grotesque make-up, no funny clothes, just Red." He added that Skelton also "plays a dramatic scene about as effectively as any of the dramatic actors."

Skelton was quoted as saying, "I just want to be known as a clown, because to me that's the height of my profession. It means you can do everything—sing, dance and above all, make people laugh."  Since he believed this was his mission in life, Skelton was able to share his gift of laughter under surprising circumstances. He and Father Edward J. Carney were on a plane from Rome carrying 24 children from an assortment of countries when the plane lost two of its three engines and seemed destined to lose the third. When it appeared that the plane would crash over Mont Blanc , the priest readied himself to administer Last Rites . As he did so, he told Skelton, "You take care of your department, Red, and I'll take care of mine." Skelton diverted the attention of the children with pantomimes while Father Carney prayed; they were somehow able to land at a small airstrip in Lyon, France .

Many of Skelton's television shows have survived due to kinescopes, films and videotapes  and have been featured in recent years on Public Broadcasting Service  (PBS) stations. In addition, a number of excerpts from Skelton's programs have been released in VHS and DVD  formats. In 1980, Skelton was taken to court by 13 of his former writers over a story that his will called for the destruction of recordings of all his old television shows upon his death. Skelton contended his remarks were made at a time when he was very unhappy with the television industry and were taken out of context. Skelton said at the time, "Would you burn the only monument you've built in over 20 years?" As the owner of the television shows, Skelton stubbornly refused to allow them to be syndicated as reruns during his lifetime.

One of the last known on-camera interviews with Skelton was conducted by Steven F. Zambo. A small portion of this interview can be seen in the 2005 PBS  special, The Pioneers of Primetime.
Used his "Guzzlers Gin" comedy sketch as his successful 1940 screen test for MGM. It was later filmed in Ziegfeld Follies (1945).

Clowns were his lifelong trademark. His clown paintings have sold for upwards of $80,000.

Skelton earned over $2.5 million annually at one time as an artist, after the cancellation of his variety show "The Red Skelton Hour" (1951).

His first wife, a former usher, negotiated his 1951 $5 million, seven-year Hollywood contract.

His father used to be a circus clown.

Interred at Forest Lawn, Glendale, California, USA, in the Great Mausoleum, Sanctuary of Benediction.

In 1986, as Clem Kaddiddlehopper, he received an Honorary Doctorate of Foolology from Ball State University in Muncie, Indiana.

He insisted on getting his television skits done on the first take, even if it meant ad-libbing around blown lines and failed props. In one famous incident on live television, he managed to ad-lib while a cow defecated on stage ("Not only does she give milk, but also Pet-Ritz pies!").

Inducted into the International Clown Hall of Fame in 1989.

Inducted into the Radio Hall of Fame in 1994.

He was a member of the Phi Sigma Kappa Fraternity.

Served in the U.S. Army during World War Two (1944-1945).

Star of "The Red Skelton Show" on NBC Radio (1941-1949) and CBS Radio (1949-1953).

Was the 1961 recipient of the prestigious Connor Award given by the brothers of the Phi Alpha Tau fraternity based out of Emerson College in Boston, Massachusetts. He is also an honorary brother of the fraternity.

A bridge was built and named after him that spans the Wabash River separating Indiana and Illinois on US 50, just outside his hometown of Vincennes, Indiana. Vincennes University is also building a Performing Arts Center in his memory.

He often made reference to his second wife, Georgia, as "Little Red."

In 1971, following a successful 30 year run on CBS (often placing among the top ten shows) his ratings finally slipped and "The Red Skelton Hour" (1951) was quickly canceled by the network. He never forgave them. Television historians have long suspected that he was a victim of the 1971 television purge that took place after the success of "All in the Family" (1968) wherein CBS rid itself of all "nice shows" and "rural shows" in favor of shows with edgier subject matter.

His daughter Valentina Marie Skelton was born on May 5, 1947. His son, Richard Freeman Skelton was born on May 20, 1948 and died on May 10, 1958 of Leukemia, just 10 days before his 10th birthday.

He was extremely offended by "blue humor" and publicly made note of any comedian who used it because he felt that it cheapened the art of comedy. He very closely observed every skit that went on his show to make sure that it could not be twisted into a double double entendre.

One of Red's writers filled in for him one night when he took a serious fall, injuring himself. That writer's name was Johnny Carson.

In 1960 he purchased the old Charles Chaplin Studios on La Brea Ave., where he produced his weekly television shows. He established Red-Eo-Tape (Red-Tape) Video Productions. His three RCA TK-41 camera mobile units became the first live color production company in Hollywood.

Although famous for his "drunk" comedy sketches, he never drank and was, in fact, allergic to alcohol.

Got his first taste of the stage at "The Pantheon Theatre" in downtown Vincennes, Indiana, which is now being remodeled and the stage being named in his honor.

He became well-known as an outspoken proponent for the addition of the phrase "Under God" to the U.S. Pledge of Allegiance.

His brother Paul Skelton worked as an uncredited prop man on Irwin Allen series such as "Lost in Space" (1965).

In a People Magazine interview late in his life, Skelton admitted that he fudged his officially accepted birth year, but did not elaborate. The year 1910 is sometimes given instead of 1913, but Skelton's biographer Arthur Marx claims that the comedian told close associates he was really born in 1906.

He was awarded two stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame for Radio at 6763 Hollywood Boulevard and for Television at 6650 Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood, California.

Appears as the character Freddie the Freeloader on a 44¢ USA commemorative postage stamp in the Early TV Memories issue honoring "The Red Skelton Hour" (1951). The stamp was issued 11 August 2009.

Originally he had hoped to become a circus lion tamer, but gave up on that when he saw a man mauled to death by one of the big cats.

He was a staunch supporter of the Republican Party.

On May 10, 1976 his ex-wife Georgia Davis committed suicide by gunshot on the 18th anniversary of their son's Richard Freeman Skelton death.

The day after his wedding on March 9, 1945 Salton checked into the hospital for a tonsillectomy.

The pressures of entertaining troops, and fulfilling his duties as a soldier, resulted in Skelton's hospitalization for a nervous breakdown in 1945.
If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled.
~*~ Red Skelton
My mother told me something I've never forgotten: 'Don't take life too seriously, son, you don't come out of it alive anyway.

His traditional TV sign-off: "Good night, and may God bless."

All men make mistakes, but married men find out about them sooner.

When Harry Cohn, the notorious - and much despised - head of Columbia Pictures died, seeing the crowd at his funeral prompted this famous Skelton riposte: "It just goes to show you, Harry was right -- If you give the public what they want, they'll always show up."

As a longtime painter, I carry around snapshots of my favorite paintings the way other old geezers my age carry around pictures of their grandkids. Grandchildren are wonderful, but a good painting can help support you in your old age.

I think most of today's comedians are victims of laughter...they get nervous and resort to an insult or a four-letter word for a quick, cheap laugh. That goes on night after night until the whole act is cheapened. But that doesn't last. Usually, a couple of years later they are remembered only as the old what's-his-name who used all the dirty words.

I'm nuts and I know it. But so long as I make 'em laugh, they ain't going to lock me up.

I always believed God puts each one of us here for a purpose and mine is to try to make people happy.

If I can make people smile, then I have served my purpose for God.
Free Shipping at the Clearance Outlet - USA, LLC
Puritan's Pride
Complete Life Supplements Banner Exchange 150 x100 logo banner
100 Percent Pure
Autism Speaks
Burpee Gardening
Cancer Defeated Publications - Digestive Enzyme Therapy
Powered by WebRing.